A dialogue between Russian diaspora’s antiwar organizers and Ukrainian human rights defenders
RUSSIA’S DEMOCRATS ABROAD AS PART OF THE INTERNATIONAL COALITION FOR UKRAINE – A dialogue between Russian diaspora’s antiwar organizers and Ukrainian human rights defenders
The American Russian – Speaking Association for Civil and Human Rights organized an international zoom forum focused upon the state of the antiwar movement in the Russian diaspora based on its latest wave of rallies that were held on June 12 in a dozen of countries. Their goal was to amplify the voices of the organizers and participants of these rallies representing a new wave of up-and-coming activists, some of whom have been forced out of their native country and have to combine their activism with integration in their new societies. A Ukrainian prominent human rights defenders spoke about the Ukrainians’ views of the Russian protest and protesters and of their value as an asset in the struggle for the liberation of Ukraine and for rebuilding the relations between our two peoples in the future.
1. Organizers of the June 12 rallies:
– Alla Ebel (Prague); – Peter Nikitin (Belgrade); – Olga Babina (Montreal); – Lada Kovalkova (Los Angeles)
2. Ukrainian human rights defenders: –
– Evgen Zaharov (Kharkiv), Board Chair of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union and Board Member of the International Memorial Society
– Iosif Zissels, Executive Vice Chair of Ukraine’s Congress of Ethnic Communities
Co-chairs of the Roundtable – Liubov Stasiv, former Ukrainian MP (member of the Verkhovna Rada, 2006-07) and Dmitri Glinski, former member of Russia’s Constitutional Consultative Assembly under President Yeltsin, 1993
The introductory remarks were in English; most of the participants spoke in Russian and Ukrainian.