In Defense of Democracy – Citizens Summit On Democracy
The objectives of the pre-S4D2 Civil Society Citizens Summit were:
1. To facilitate the contextualization and localization of S4D2 conversations by providing a platform for African civil society actors to connect,
jointly reflect on the YoA, various elements of elections in Africa, and input into S4D2 commitments from civil society and citizens’
2. To provide a platform for civil society, international organizations, academic institutions, think tanks, philanthropic organizations, and the
private sector to make their voices heard in the Summit discussions and in the global democracy debate.
3. To coordinate civil society’s construction of a coordinated program of action around S4D2 commitments and build sustainable learning
coalitions and connections to improve the African continent’s prospects of democratization.
4. To use the S4D2’s focus on elections as an opportunity to highlight some of the challenges around the region’s democratization through an
information campaign that spotlights issues and countries to watch.
The event was held at the Urban Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia
Watch the Day 1 plenary sessions here.
- Breakaway Session 1: Money in Politics: Financing political parties and election campaigns for democratic renewal in Africa.
- Breakaway Session 2: Media freedom, freedom of expression and the technology in elections.
- Breakaway Session 3: The state of Civic space, its impact on peaceful and democratic elections and transitions in Africa.
For more information: https://accountabilitylab.org/in-defense-of-democracy-and-freedom-zambias-pre-s4d-citizens-summit/